Orphans in the Wild is the fund raising UK sister charity for Foxes NGO, a small charity based in beautiful but remote Southern Highlands of Tanzania in the highland region called Mufindi.
The area has been decimated by the effects of HIV/Aids. Orphans in the Wild is working to support projects to help these proud and independent people to combat the effects of the disease on their community and to restore it to health and self sufficiency.
The first step was to protect the orphaned and vulnerable children, the strong extended family system having broken under the strain of the mortality of the working age population bringing destitution to many families.
From small beginnings we care for sixty children in a Children’s Village of 6 small houses. A happy community, echoing traditional village life.
In addition to continuing running of the Children’s Village, incorporating improvements as funds allow we have these additional current ongoing projects in the wider community:
- Improvement to healthcare facilities in our target area and access to anti retro viral (ARV) drugs.
- Health education and support to encourage testing for the disease.
- Provision of milk formula for infected nursing mothers to prevent transmission from mother to child.
- Sponsorship for primary & secondary school students.
- Kindergarten, pre-school an outreach kindergarten project.
- Home based Health care programme involving local volunteers in the community.
- Completion of our vocational school building on site in the Children’s Village.